Local Government Housing Assistance


Local government housing assistance is available to low income families, elderly and individuals through several programs in the form of affordable housing or rental assistance. Most of these government housing programs are invariably administered by the local public housing authorities (PHAs).

However, there also are other agencies involved in local government housing assistance; namely local Department of Housing and Community Development, State Housing Finance Agencies and the US Department of Agriculture Rural Development Office. Some of the local government housing assistance programs are also supported by the funds given by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and US Department of Agriculture’s Rural Housing Services.


Some PHAs also administer the Homeownership and Opportunity for People Everywhere (HOPE) program which is a combination of HUD Section 8 rental assistance with case management and supportive services. This is primarily targeted towards low income elderly so that they have access to Section 8 rental assistance instead of going to nursing homes or other restrictive settings when home and community-based options are available. To be eligible for this local government housing assistance, you have to be 62 years or older and have difficulty in performing at least three activities of daily living (example, eating, bathing, dressing or grooming) and home management activities like laundry, shopping, housekeeping or getting from one place to another.
Another local government housing assistance program is the Housing Choice Voucher or Section 8 Program. This is administered locally by PHAs and it for low income families, elderly or people with disability. You are free to find your own housing that meets the requirements of the program and the family income should not exceed 50 percent of the median income for the county or metropolitan where the family chooses to live. In addition, this program is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens.